ALG seeks a team of experts for a future intervention in Malawi, with an important international development agency. The objectives, the scope of the mission and the profiles sought are described below. This is a proposal develop phase.
OBJECTIVE OF THE CONSULTANCY
The objective of the assignment is to develop an Operational Manual for the National Climate Change Fund which will provide guidance, rules and procedures of the operations of the fund. Specifically the manual will detail;
- The management structure and decision making process of the Fund
- Proposal Review processes and disbursement modalities
- Institutional mechanisms and arrangements
- Capacity building plan of the fund
- Accreditation and due diligence processes
- Opportunities for capitalisation
- Estimated costs of operations
- Monitoring and Evaluation
EXPECTED DELIVERABLES AND SCHEDULES
Upon full completion of the assignment, the consultant is expected to submit an operational manual which will include but not limited to:
- Introduction to the National Climate Change Fund (NCCF)
- Linkages to national development agenda, national climate change policy, other relevant national and sectoral policies and strategic documents
- Objectives and purpose of the Fund
- Administration of the NCCF
Defining the institutional arrangement for administration of the Fund, which will include a diagrammatic illustration of the institutional structure. The following are to be defined in the manual:
- Composition of the National Fund Secretariat, National Steering and Technical committees,
- Supporting Ministries, Departments and agencies including their roles, responsibilities, competencies, and skills required
- Capitalization of the Fund
Description of how the Fund will mobilize resources for disbursement to project implementing institutions and initiatives, including:
- Domestic financing mechanisms; which will include both public and private mechanisms
- External financing mechanisms
- Accessing the Fund
- Outline a step-by-step application process including relevant templates.
- Description of the eligibility criteria for applicants –this will include; nature of project, the technical and financial capacity of applicant and co-financing requirement
- Periodicity of applications-this will describe whether or not the Fund will be available for access by applicants continuously or periodically.
- Disbursement of Funds and non financial instruments
- Description of how the funds will be disbursed (including whether in phases or not) and how the decision will be drawn.
- It should also include types of non financial instruments and how they will be delivered.
- Monitoring, Evaluation, Reporting and Verification
- Monitoring and evaluation arrangements for the National Secretariat Fund and projects being funded i.e. who will be responsible, frequency and role of external stakeholders
- Reporting by the National Secretariat Fund , project reporting and their corresponding reporting formats where applicable Crosscutting issues
- Accountability and transparency
- Gender and social policy
ALG KEY PERSONEL FOR THIS PROJECT
- Minimum of Master’s Degree in Climate change; Environment; Natural Resources Management
- Minimum of 5 years proven work experience of leading in development of at least 2 operational manual for climate change fund in developing countries or 4 years experience in managing climate change related funds.
- Understanding and experience in development support on climate change and climate financing structures at national and international level,
- Strong knowledge of climate change, natural resources and environmental management and respective priorities in the country
- Minimum of Master’s Degree in a field relevant to Development and Economics;
- Strong logical sense of economic, social and environmental situations, projects and/or programmes
- At least 3 years experience in M&E and project screening procedures in reference to international standards.
- At least 3 years working experience on local governance, public financial management/budgeting and/or climate finance
- Alternatively, the Specialist should have a Bachelors-degree with a minimum of 10 years relevant experience
- Minimum of Bachelors in Accountancy or financial management and Chartered Institute of Management Accounting or ACCA qualified.
- Atleast 3years working experience in Management Accounting